564 Rose Avenue, Venice California

The Golden State is a lifestyle store and gallery featuring California brands from fashion to furniture and art that reflect the way we live. info@thegoldenstatestore.com

golden state featured brands

88 orange, ash francomb, bennett malibu, cali dreaming, calleen cordero, clare vivier, earl reid, esther pottery, fahmina, faye castillo, feed handcrafts, kerry cassill, limeade california, luna garcia, maurice connolly, not neutral, rebecca norman, roost, rough linen, surfmonk, salt swimwear, tigerlily



Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Apartment Therapy/Trending: Outdoor Living Decorative Trends


Here's an excerpt of my interview with Apartment Therapy, Los Angeles:

Stephanie Addis of The Golden State Store (formerly known as Poolside) an outdoor vintage boutique that sells restored patio furniture on Ocean Park Blvd in Santa Monica shares some insight about outdoor living trends:

What are some popular outdoor trends?
Indoor/outdoor pieces, restored vintage. We specialize in restoring vintage furniture…which is the best kind of recycling! I have a client in Trousdale who hired me because I offered to restore a pair of Brown Jordan chaises that came with his Wallace Neff home. Several other designers told him to trash them but I forbid it, they belong to that house. check out some of our work here

What is selling or what are you selling out of in your store that customers keep buying?
I fell in love with a tattered Van Keppel /Green cane/iron lounge chair I found during Modernism week in Palm Springs. The architecture of the chair was (still is) perfect…simple and well designed. I had my fabricator replicate the frame and rope it. We made a few of them for the Ace Hotel and they’re amazing! I sell them for indoor and outdoor, I have a pair in my living room, my kids climb all over them. When friends come over we drag them outside around our giant fire bowl. check out the chair here

Do you see customers entertaining more outdoors this year than last year?
Absolutely! The recession has forced people to cut back for sure, we can’t spend crazy like we used to. Something really cool has come out of that… people are staying home and realizing “hey, we live in a beautiful place! This is California!" I love being able to teach my kids how to relax at home, we don’t need to wait for the holidays or summer vacation.

Are people spending more money this year on their outdoor spaces?
No doubt, yes. Instead of dropping thousands on a vacation they’re opting to invest in something more long term. Outdoor spaces have become important real estate.



read the whole article here:
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/la/trending-outdoor-living-decorative-trends-095466

"Trending" is a weekly report from Vanessa De Vargas, owner of Turquoise, a Los Angeles furniture and interior decor business.

No comments:

Post a Comment